Monday, December 8, 2008

Remembering December 7, 1941

I know this is a day late but still important to remember the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. We went to Hawaii in June and had the privilege of visiting Pearl Harbor for the first time. Nothing prepares you for the feelings you experience when you visit the Arizona Memorial. The love, sorrow and gratitude you feel for these men is hard to explain. I think what suprised me the most was how Amy responded. We explained to her the events of what had happened that day and she also watched the movie they show you before you go out to the memorial. When we were there she was very quiet. When she looked into the water, she asked if that was the boat the people were in. I was suprised at how much she understood and it actually brough tears to her eyes.

Then what really got me choked up was when we went into the room with all the names on the wall. She asked what it was and we told her it was the names of all the people who died that day. She started crying. Here ia a picture of Mike holding her. Then she got down and looked closer and found someone with the last name Hopkins and started to cry again.

Visiting the memorial truly brings to life what happened that day. It reminded me how lucky I am to live here in this country where men and women of our military are willing to fight and die for our freedom.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Wow...it gave me goose bumps just thinking about it. That was so awesome to go there and something that I will never forget. Next time we go, Amy can tell Lexi all about it! ;)

Leslie said...

That is so sweet Beth. It is amazing how sweet Amy's spirit is to understand enough...